Driver's License Types
Light Motor vehicle Driver’s License
- 18 years or older.
- Medical certificate ( facility available at EPDA)
- Saudi Citizens: A photocopy of a valid National ID card.
- Non-Saudi Citizens: A photocopy of a valid Iqama card.
- Paying the license fee.
Disable Driving Course
EPDA offers a customized driving course for the people with special needs by using adapted vehicles. At present, this course is available for the people whom are immobile below the waist or having below disability. They may apply for driving license and will learn the driving in adapted vehicles where brakes and accelerators can be operated by hand controls or joysticks. The complete course process / procedure would be as follows:
- Student may register online or at EPDA counters directly without prior appointment. They will be given priority for registration (no need to wait for SMS).
- Upon visiting EPDA , they will need to submit the following documents:
- National ID / Iqama.
- General Medical Report (as required for all to confirm eye sight and mental state)
- A specific medical report from the Physical, Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) department, confirming (only) below waist disability. (Traffic department may recommend the hospitals)
- All such applicants will be offered only beginner course (30 hours) as it will require a practice on adapted / specialized vehicle.
- Only applicants having adaptive driving license (valid license from any country) may opt for the Pre-evaluation. They will be tested on the adapted vehicle and following that (based on performance) they will be given either 12 hours course or 30 hours course.
- Students will be given priority at each stage of the course. However, they will have to follow the complete course structure (similar to Normal Course).
Safe Driving Guidelines
Before igniting your vehicle's engine
- Look around the vehicle and make sure the tires are in good condition and so is the road.
- Close the car doors tightly.
- Make sure that both your seat and the steering wheel are in the right position.
- Make sure that you and your passengers are all buckled up.
- Ensure the right positioning of rear -view and side mirrors.
- Ignite the engine and make sure all dashboard indicators are on safe levels.
Start moving safely while adhering to the following rules
- Check your rearview and side mirrors to get hold of your surroundings.
- Reduce pressure on gas pedal.
- Slowly step on the brakes.
- After parking, pull the handbrakes.
Pay Attention to the road around you:
- Cautionary, directorial, and informative signs.
- Gates, barricades, and posts.
- Road markings and sidewalks.
- Light signals.
- Traffic detours and construction area signs.
Elements of Safe Driving
Safety features in the vehicle:
- Tires: Size, quality, endurance, speed, year of manufacturing, and storage facilities quality.
- Lights: Clarity, color, and brightness levels.
- Turn and flash lights: working correctly?
- Rear-view and side mirrors: Are they clear? Positioned correctly?
- Windshield wipers, brakes, handbrake, and locks: are they working correctly?
- Sound and light alerts for gas and oil levels, thermometer, speed indicator, odometer, and battery indicator.
- Seatbelt, headrests, child seats, and airbags.
Safety items in the vehicle:
- Spare tire and tools to install it.
- Fire distinguisher.
- First aid kit.
- Auto-lock system for accidents.
- Fire blanket.
- Reflective Warning Triangle.
Due to the importance of vehicle maintenance, the Motor Vehicles Periodic Inspection center aims to do the following:
- Enhancing the vehicle's performance.
- Reducing the number of traffic accidents.
- Prolonging the vehicle's life expectancy.
- Protecting the environment.
- Ensuring the safety of road users such as drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.
- Early detection of problems in The vehicle
The road infrastructure in Saudi Arabia is of very high standards:
- Road design and planning.
- Road lighting.
- Road quality and safety features such as it being free of obstacles and natural elements like sand.
- Road signs and traffic lights.
- The number of weighing stations placed on major roads between different cities and districts
A good driver, who is the most important player in the safety of the streets, should have the following:
- Excellent sight, hearing, and smell senses.
- Good knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
- Complete focus during driving.
- High sense of responsibility.
- Decent knowledge of the vehicle's inner workings.
To ensure the safety of the driver:
- Buckle up.
- Presence of headrests.
- Prescription glasses if needed, first aid kit, and airbag.